Americold provides temperature-controlled warehousing and transportation to food producers, restaurants, schools and retail outlets such as grocery stores. We're proud to provide an essential link in the food industry supply chain and to help put food on tables around the world.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, Americold owns and operates temperature-controlled warehouses around the world. We have over 16,000 associates and offer a wide variety of career opportunities - from warehouse forklift operators and supervisors to accounting, administration, business development, customer support, engineering, transportation, and technology solutions positions.
The Automation Operator is the entry level on floor Operations Associate in a fully automated direct to retail warehouse. The automation operator is expected to safely execute tasks that include: efficient operations of Powered Industrial Trucks (PIT), manual case pick operations, as well as other basic interactions with graphic user interface to enable basic automation functions. This role supports enabling the automated system with manual stacking operations, removing stretch wrap from unit loads, house keeping functions and resolving / resetting basic system faults that prevent efficient flow of product over automated stacking, delayering, power pallet and case conveyors.
• Monitors warehouse dock operations activities including, validating accuracy and using PIT to move pallets, bins and other items.
• Stacks and stores merchandise in the designated area(s).
• Picks orders for shipment and assembles various types of merchandise to be shipped.
• Checks or counts freight for accuracy and/or damage and infestation.
• Participates in physical inventories, as needed.
• Performs labeling, sorting, wrapping, packing, and repacking as needed or as directed.
• Operates equipment including, but not limited to, stand up forklifts, stand up straddle trucks, walk behinds, pallet jacks, double pallet jacks and radio frequency equipment. Changes battery(s) on equipment as needed.
• Reports safety malfunctions on equipment to appropriate individual(s) as they occur.
• Interacts with automated systems by acknowledging and confirming information on operator input screens, executing basic manual tasks such as removing wrap and excess packing from unit loads, and monitoring powered pallet and case conveyors and robotic stackers to maintain efficient flow. Identifies and reports basic faults and interruptions such as misalignment or an alert to packing or item variation to appropriate individual(s).
• Performs basic housekeeping tasks in the work area to include basic wipe down of automation equipment and other function required to supply and remove trays, pallets and other supplies and recyclable items to the automation system as needed or as directed.
• Performs other duties as assigned, as needed, or as directed.
Qualifications & Experience:
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred, or at least one (1) year related work experience.
• Experience in warehouse or with automated warehouse equipment preferred.
• Certification in operating forklift preferred.
Knowledge & Employment Standards:
• Demonstrated communication skills that enable efficient description of issues that are causing reduced flow or throughput across power conveyor or automated equipment in their work area.
• Ability to engage with teammates and co-workers and ability to master and execute multiple tasks and / or work at more than one work area during the day as the business needs dictate.
• Demonstrated knowledge of computer Warehouse Management System(s) and related components, such as Pallet Jack, high lift, sit down or stand-up lift truck, RC, VoCollect Technology.
• Must be able to work independently.
• Ability to recognize, acknowledge and correctly react to basic information or input correct basic information into user interfaces to enable safe and efficient product flow across the automation systems.
• Comfortable working around conveyance and automated equipment in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to be cross trained into multiple areas of the facility.
• Requires the ability to pay close attention to details.
• May work overtime, evenings, weekends, and some holidays in order to complete work or to attend meetings, as directed and authorized by management.
Physical Requirements & Abilities:
• Regular work duties will be performed in an environment at 38 degrees.
• Limited exposure to a working environment with temperatures of -10 degrees to -20 degrees; industry rated cold gear will be provided.
• Ability to stack boxes within an automated work environment for an extended period.
• Must be able to lift 70 lbs. occasionally.
• Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the job which include: Working in temperature regulated areas, climbing stairs, ladders and crossovers and being on your feet most of the shift.
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.