Americold provides temperature-controlled warehousing and transportation to food producers, restaurants, schools and retail outlets such as grocery stores. We're proud to provide an essential link in the food industry supply chain and to help put food on tables around the world.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, Americold owns and operates temperature-controlled warehouses around the world. We have over 16,000 associates and offer a wide variety of career opportunities - from warehouse forklift operators and supervisors to accounting, administration, business development, customer support, engineering, transportation, and technology solutions positions.
Manage and support the Canadian site locations and ensure that their respective health, safety and food safety programs meet the requirements of their respective providence’s CFIA (Canadian Food Inspection Agency), OSHA, or equivalent agencies. They will also work with sites that are struggling to meet company initiatives (e.g., Behavioral Based Safety, Safety Management Systems Audit, etc.). Additionally, they will work with site management teams and the Canadian Director to develop opportunities to provide strategic and competitive advantage through cross-functional interaction. In addition, this position will help support the department’s AOS Safety and Food Safety SharePoint sites and Contractor Safety Program.
• Assists with the implementation of safety and health programs and processes by presenting training and completing safety management systems audits
• Assists in the identification of food safety, quality, and sanitation training needs.
• Assist site senior management in establishing and implementing policies and programs in support of food safety
• Develops, implements, and coordinates safety and health policies and procedures to reduce or eliminate occupational injuries, illnesses, and the financial losses associated
• Support warehouse management by occasionally auditing compliance with food safety policies
• In partnership with site Inventory Control personnel, verifies hold process is properly implemented at the site
• Reviews and evaluates various job activities and new processes for safety, health, environmental issues, and food safety impacts, and makes recommendations to control or eliminate hazards
• Responds to and investigates reports of hazardous or potentially hazardous conditions; reviews recommendations and/or takes appropriate action in order to mitigate potential safety, health or food safety risk
• Assists in the development and updating of weekly and monthly safety metrics and performances
• Assists in tracking and trending safety and program performance
• Supports contractor safety and health compliance
• Assist with the AOS Safety and Food Safety SharePoint site and related information
• Assist with the company’s Contractor Safety Program through the use of ISNetworld
• Assist the sites with IndustrySafe implementation and ongoing use of the safety software
• Serves as a company resource for safety, health and food safety; interacts with regulatory agencies, customers, and others as necessary at the direction of the Regional Safety Manager
• Develops and delivers presentations on health and safety topics including supporting safety meetings
• Conducts incident investigations and safety inspections in support of the company safety program
• Assists in the management of the company OSHA 300 log including completion of the annual summary for posting
• Conducts required OSHA employee training as required
• Contributes to the development or revision of OSHA compliance
• Participates in OSHA or CFIA (or equivalent) visits when needed
• Responsible for ensuring all departments complete monthly safety meetings, trainings and inspections.
• Interpret OSHA and CFIA (or equivalent) regulations and apply to everyday business in the areas of safety/compliance
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
Education, Training & Professional Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferred Occupational Safety or equivalent degreed program with 1 to 3 years of experience.
• Demonstrated proficiency in understanding government regulation, safety and environmental compliance.
• Ability to objectively and accurately evaluate data utilizing analytical skills to maximize overall EHS and food safety performance.
• Ability to maintain confidential information and to communicate information regarding compliance performance or other business issues strictly on a need-to-know basis.
• Must have demonstrated ability to maintain the highest level of professionalism on a continuous basis (i.e. demeanor, communication, etc.).
• Ability to influence others and to impart the concept of continuous (ongoing) improvement at all points on the performance continuum.
• Strong organization and follow-through skills.
• Must be comfortable working without direct supervision; and, a demonstrated ability to secure resources cross functionally without daily oversight.
• Strong overall computer skills required, (Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, etc.).
• Experience with transportation, warehouse or industrial refrigeration systems a plus
• Experience with Vector/Industry Safe Program and facility auditing is a plus
Knowledge & Employment Standards:
• Strong organizational skills are mandatory
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to communicate professionally with people at all levels of the organization and external contacts
• Solid decision making skills utilizing sound judgment
• Bilingual language skills (speak and write Spanish) is a plus
• Must be able to travel up to 25%-35% of the time
• Self-starter who relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals
Physical Requirements & Abilities:
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
• Requires the ability to sit for long periods of time, with frequent interruptions
• Requires several hours per day of sitting, getting up and down from chairs, and reaching, or bending
• Requires manual dexterity with normal hand and finger movements for typical office work
• Talking, hearing, and seeing are important elements of completing assigned tasks
• Requires travel by automobile and airplane for business purposes
• May require visiting facility operations in temperatures at or below freezing
• Frequently carries loads related to travel and occasionally lifts, carries, positions, or moves objects weighing up to 20 pounds
• Requires the use of various electronic tools
• Requires the ability to relate to others beyond giving and receiving instructions: must partner with colleagues without exhibiting behavioral extremes
• Requires the performance of work activities including reasoning, negotiating, instructing, persuading, or speaking with others; and respond appropriately to constructive feedback from executive management
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
EOE/AA M/F/D/V DFW.