Americold provides temperature-controlled warehousing and transportation to food producers, restaurants, schools and retail outlets such as grocery stores. We're proud to provide an essential link in the food industry supply chain and to help put food on tables around the world.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, Americold owns and operates temperature-controlled warehouses around the world. We have over 16,000 associates and offer a wide variety of career opportunities - from warehouse forklift operators and supervisors to accounting, administration, business development, customer support, engineering, transportation, and technology solutions positions.
Drives a commercial motor vehicle primarily engaged in trips of less than one hundred fifty (150) miles from the home base in order to provide safe and timely delivery of products to and/or from customers with responsibility for the established routes within an established territory.
• Delivers and picks up containers/trailers at various warehouse and customer locations, assists as needed with unloading or reloading the vehicle, and reports any discrepancies or issues to appropriate individual(s) immediately upon discovery. May be asked or required to deliver information to outside third parties to pick up and/or deliver containers/trailers as needed or as necessary.
• Serves as point of contact for the Company regarding product acceptance and/or delivery issues by processing paperwork including purchase orders, invoices, accounts receivables, fuel receipts, dispatch sheets, bills of lading, unloading receipts, trucking logs, and shipping schedules. May be asked or required to create, process, and track invoices and billing as needed or as necessary.
• Maintains Department of Transportation (DOT) vehicle logs as required by law, as well as any other Company documents necessary for operation of vehicle, performs daily equipment and vehicle inspections, and relays appropriate information between ports of entry and warehouses.
• Performs other driving and/or warehouse-related duties as required or as requested.
Qualifications & Experience:
• High School diploma or General Education Degree (GED) preferred.
• Meet Federal Motor Carrier Qualifications (which includes, but are not limited to, FMCSR part 391).
• Valid and current Commercial Driver License (CDL) with proper endorsements in state of residence which has no current license suspension or revocation. A work permit is never acceptable. (See FMCSR parts 383 and 391).
• No conviction for a “serious or disqualifying traffic violation” within the last three (3) years. (See FMCSR parts 382, 391, 392 and 397) A “serious or disqualifying traffic violation” includes the following:
1. Excessive speeding, involving any single offense for any speed of 15 m.p.h. or more above the posted speed limit.2. Reckless driving, as defined by state or local law or regulation.
3. Improper or erratic lane changes.
4. Following the vehicle ahead too closely.
5. Hit and run, leaving the scene of an accident, or failure to report an accident.
6. Violating a State or local law or ordinance prohibiting texting while driving a motor vehicle and/or violating a State or local law or ordinance restricting or prohibiting the use of a hand-held mobile device while driving.
• No conviction for driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs violation within the past five (5) years.
• No more than four (4) moving violations in the past 36 months, and no more than two (2) moving violations in the previous 12 months.
• No preventable accidents involving a fatality, bodily injuries treated away from the scene, or disabling damage to a motor vehicle within three years.
• Two (2) years of experience operating tractor/trailer equipment.
Knowledge & Employment Standards:
• Successful passing of Department of Transportation (DOT) background screen, pre-employment drug test, and other required physical and medical examinations.
• Demonstrated ability to enter and exit truck as well as hook and unhook trailering equipment.
• Demonstrated written, verbal, and interpersonal and customer service communication skills sufficient to read and interpret road maps and road signs and partner with customers and other co-workers.
• Demonstrated mathematical skills sufficient to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals sufficient to complete required papers and documents.
• Demonstrated possession and application of reasoning, negotiating, instructing, persuading, and speaking skills necessary to interact and respond to customers, co-workers, and management staff effectively.
• Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems in a fast-paced environment where deadlines and scopes may change regularly while maintaining accuracy. Drivers may be subject to conditions and other stresses and fatigue related to driving a motor vehicle on crowded streets and highways in various weather conditions. Demonstrated ability to self-start with little or no direction preferred.
Physical Requirements & Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to sit for long periods of time in a vehicle. Also must be able to repeatedly and quickly adjust vehicle controls to exact positions for several hours per day. While driving, operators are exposed to noise and vibration levels which may be higher than those typically experienced in passenger cars.
• Demonstrated manual dexterity and coordination of two (2) or more limbs with normal movements while sitting, standing, or lying down. This does not involve performing the activities while the whole body is in motion.
• Demonstrated ability to talk, hear, and see sufficiently to complete assigned tasks. Must be able to visually identify details from distances.
• May be required to carry loads related to travel and occasionally lift, carry, position, or move objects weighing up to fifty (50) pounds.
• Demonstrated ability to relate to others beyond giving and receiving instructions sufficient to partner with colleagues without exhibiting behavioral extremes.
• Demonstrated judgment skills sufficient to identify which of several objects is closer or farther away and to accurately ascertain distance between self and other objects.
• Demonstrated ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
EOE/AA M/F/D/V DFW