Drive a light vehicle, with a capacity of less than 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), primarily to deliver or pick up documents and/or other items. May load and unload vehicle.
• Drive vehicles with capacities under three tons to transport items to and from specified destinations, such as railroad stations, plants, residences, offices, or within industrial yards.
• Inspect and maintain vehicle supplies and equipment, such as gas, oil, water, tires, lights, or brakes, to ensure that vehicles are in proper working condition.
• Load and unload trucks, vans, or automobiles.
• Maintain records, such as vehicle logs, records of cargo, or billing statements, as required.
• Obey traffic laws and follow established traffic and transportation procedures.
• Perform emergency repairs, such as changing tires or installing light bulbs, fuses, tire chains, or spark plugs.
• Read maps and follow written or verbal geographic directions.
• Report any mechanical problems encountered with vehicles.
• Report delays, accidents, or other traffic and transportation situations to bases or other vehicles, using telephones or mobile two-way radios.
• Other duties as requested.
Qualifications & Experience:
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
• Valid, unrestricted driver’s license
• Good driving record
• Must be at least 21 years of age
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must be able to relate to other people beyond giving and receiving instructions: they must get along with co-workers without exhibiting behavioral extremes; perform work activities requiring reasoning, negotiating, instructing, persuading, or speaking with others; and respond appropriately to criticism from a supervisor
• Demonstrated written, verbal, and interpersonal and customer service communication skills sufficient to read and interpret road maps and road signs and partner with customers and other co-workers
• Demonstrated mathematical skills sufficient to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals sufficient to complete required papers and documents
• Demonstrated possession and application of reasoning, negotiating, instructing, persuading, and speaking skills necessary to interact and respond to customers, co-workers, and management staff effectively
• Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems in a fast-paced environment where deadlines and scopes may change regularly while maintaining accuracy
• May be subject to conditions and other stresses and fatigue related to driving a motor vehicle on crowded streets and highways in various weather conditions
• Ability to sit for long periods of time in a vehicle
• Ability to repeatedly and quickly adjust vehicle controls to exact positions for several hours per day
• Demonstrated manual dexterity and coordination of two (2) or more limbs with normal movements while sitting, standing, or lying down
• Demonstrated ability to talk, hear, and see sufficiently to complete assigned tasks; must be able to visually identify details from distances
• May be required to carry loads related to travel and occasionally lift, carry, position, or move objects weighing up to fifty (50) pounds
• Demonstrated ability to relate to others beyond giving and receiving instructions sufficient to partner with colleagues without exhibiting behavioral extremes.
• Demonstrated judgment skills sufficient to identify which of several objects is closer or farther away and to accurately ascertain distance between self and other objects
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
EOE/AA M/F/D/V DFW.