Americold provides temperature-controlled warehousing and transportation to food producers, restaurants, schools, and retail outlets such as grocery stores. We're proud to provide an essential link in the food industry supply chain and to help put food on tables around the world.
Based in Atlanta, Georgia, Americold owns and operates 180+ temperature-controlled warehouses in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, and Canada. We have nearly 13,000 associates and offer a wide variety of employment opportunities - from warehouse forklift operators and supervisors to accounting, customer support, engineering, transportation, and technology solutions positions.
Supervises food production employees on assigned shifts to ensure production guidelines are being met within established timing, quality, and cost standards. Production may be of various food products, including raw animal protein and/or produce. Trains, directs, coaches and leads the production team in the day-to-day operations to meet production, safety and quality requirements. Drives the communication of production goals and objectives, as well as results in order to effectively motivate the team to maintain a high standard of product quality while maximizing plant efficiencies. Directs the routine maintenance and set up of machines, equipment, and facilities.
• Performs daily walks and visual inspections of the production floor in observation of unsafe acts or conditions; takes immediate corrective action where necessary.
• Maintains safety/environmental self-audits & visual checks, champions all safety or ergonomic activities for the department, and helps to develop and meet plant safety goals.
• Maintains desired product quality and safety. Ensures all staff and employees know and understand the Food Safety plan and the Food Quality plan.
• Trains employees to ensure safe operating procedures are followed.
• Adheres to product specification requirements throughout the manufacturing process to maintain the desired product quality results.
• Maintains adequate knowledge of products and equipment to ensure the ability to direct employees to perform the job properly.
• Ensures tasks are completed in accordance with HACCP and USDA regulations, taking corrective action when necessary.
• Walks the production floor daily and holds monthly line meetings to address questions and concerns.
• Maintains or exceeds goals on yields and efficiencies.
• Works with the Operations Manager to maintain knowledge of yields and variances, methods of calculations, typical problem areas and methods for corrections and improvement.
• Suggests changes in work flow processes and use of equipment to increase efficiency of the department and/or production crew to maintain the lowest level of downtime and product costs possible.
• Traces and analyzes key product result measures for improvement opportunities.
• Plans day and assesses proposed production demands.
• Understands and can operate all Farmers related equipment.
• Interacts daily with Operations and QA.
• Completes all tasks requested by Operations and QA in a timely manner on a daily basis.
• Is receptive and driven to meet goals given by operations.
• Maintains open communication with operations regarding issues, setbacks, and the reasonability of expectations on a daily basis.
• Oversees all production activities on the plant floor.
• Understands, adheres to, and enforces all company policies and procedures.
• Starts and shuts down equipment.
• Keeps production organized and efficient via communication and planning.
Qualifications & Experience:
• HS Diploma
• 3+ years supervisory or production environment experience; or successful completion of Americold’s internship program; or a bachelor’s degree.
• Preferred candidates will have one or more of the following qualification, in addition to meeting the above minimum requirements: Previous food processing experience; supervisory experience; manufacturing knowledge and understanding of yields, plant efficiencies, and operations.
• Bilingual a plus
Knowledge & Employment Standards:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Able to lead problem solving and troubleshooting efforts associated with high-level process issues.
• Strong problem solving, math, and analytical skills.
• Ability motivate, train and coach employees to encourage optimum performance and engagement.
• Good planning and priority setting skills.
• Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
• Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
• Ability to work in varying production environments (heat and cold).
• May be required to work long hours and weekends.
Physical Requirements & Abilities:
• The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
• Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
• Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
• Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Americold is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
EOE/AA M/F/D/V DFW